Hello there! This post is a long time in the making! ha! We started building our own home last April. Annnnnd a now a year later, we are just about ready to move in. It’s still a work in progress! It’s definitely the biggest DIY project we’ve ever tackled! Over the next few weeks & months, I’m going to take you through the process. I’ll share the big steps we had to take, what we tackled ourselves, what we hired out & what we wished we had hired out. 😉 Today we are going to talk about the floor plan!
Just a little bit of background before we start. About 9 years ago (when I was pregnant with our youngest kiddo), we had the opportunity to purchase a piece of land. It’s kind of a long story! ha! My husband’s parents bought some property and we were able to chip in & ended up with 21 beautiful acres. Since then, it’s pretty much set there. We got it paid off, put some of our cows there & just held on to it. My in-laws built a home on their part of the property several years ago. My husband’s sister owns 10 acres. In all it’s about 50+ acres. Last year (kind of out of the blue) we decided to pray about building our home on our acreage out there. We loved the little home we were living in. It’s close to town and in a great area. It was just getting a little small, and we really wanted the kiddos to have more room to explore, be outside and work with their show cattle. It was getting old going back and forth all the time to the “property”. We also wanted to be closer to my husband’s parents. We all felt good about it. We decided to press forward. Then it was time to look for a house plan. 🙂 It was actually pretty easy to pick one out. I think we had it all picked out in one weekend! I wanted a huge living room and kitchen area, a separate piano room/living room, big porch on the front and back, & I wanted each kiddo to have their own room.
We found & purchased our house plans from HousePlans.com.
You can see the one we purchased right here.
Here is the floor plan we started with:
This is what we ended up with after all of our modifications. 🙂 Can you spot all the changes?
You can check out the pdf version (That’s easier to see!) right here >>>> House Plans
Here’s what we changed up:
- We got rid of the gas fireplace. (I’m not a fan of those!)
- Pushed the back wall out flush with the kitchen wall.
- Removed the wall between the kitchen and living room. We were able to do that by adding trusses to support the weight of the ceiling.
- Added a huge covered porch across the back.
- Turned the storage room in the garage into a bedroom by stretching the garage an extra 5 feet.
- By doing that, we were also able to add a small “mudroom” area just inside the garage door as well.
- Got rid of all the tray ceilings in the master bedroom & removed the beams in the large living area. I wanted nice smooth ceilings that wouldn’t be outdated in a few years.
- Instead of having a closet in the flex space, we combined that closet with the pantry to make an even larger walk in pantry.
- Reversed the floor plan. The garage is now on the right.
- We did not do the basement foundation.
- Removed the extra entry door in the garage. That’s where our water heater and well tank are now.
- Finished the bonus room and bath upstairs.
- Added a closet and door to the bonus room to make it a bedroom
- Removed the extra small door between the flex space & the kitchen.
- Changed some of the window placements in the kiddos’ bedrooms & in the master. We let them decided where they wanted their windows.
Next time we will talk about the foundation! 🙂 Let me know if you have any questions, & I will try & answer them in my next post. 🙂
Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.